A Beginner’s Guide to Keyword Research for SEO
There’s no denying the fact that Google continues to keep entrepreneurs and marketers on their toes with the consistent updates it rolls out for its algorithm. Despite all of the additions and changes made, one thing remains the same for those who aim to optimize their websites and elevate their visibility on the search engine results page or SERP: keyword research. It is for this reason that many specialists like SEO Washington DC firms continue to make use of this technique. While allocating financial resources for the services of experts is essential, it is always a good idea to understand what it entails. And in this guide, we’ll discuss what keyword research for SEO is and how it is done.
In a nutshell, the act of conducting keyword research involves looking for and evaluating the common search terms and phrases that people use when searching the World Wide Web for the desired information. The goal is to use the collected data to elevate the search engine optimization efforts of the brand so that it can market itself much more successfully and efficiently than it would have otherwise. The process can help uncover specific queries’ popularity, ranking challenges, and pieces of invaluable information.
The reason why keyword research is vital to the success of a search engine optimization campaign is that it offers companies insight when it comes to the queries that their intended audiences use when they look for information relevant to their businesses. This data obtained from these phrases and terms can help form an effective digital marketing campaign. While it no longer affects ranking in the same way that it has in the past, it isn’t an outdated process either. After all, it gives a brand an idea of what its market expects and cares about. With the right tools and help from SEO Washington DC companies, you can even learn the topics’ popularity among the target consumers. As a result, the business can determine and organize its content to pique the interest of users and attract more inbound web traffic in turn.
Researching keywords for SEO
Conceptually, conducting keyword research seems like a no-brainer. However, in practice, it can be a little complicated, and it isn’t uncommon for beginners to get lost in the process. As such, we have taken the liberty to outline some steps to help you cover the right list of phrases and terms that will best benefit your business’ visibility online.
- List down subjects relevant to your business. To begin the process, you must brainstorm the topics that will help your business rank for when it comes to generic buckets. It is a general rule of thumb to think up at least five to ten topic buckets that are critical to the business. With these buckets, you’ll be able to generate specific keywords. For example, if you run a blogging website, then the topics will be about what you write about frequently. If it is sales, then it should be subjects related to it. The point is that you must try to look at things from your buyers’ persona. Doing so will help you find out what your audience wants and expects from the business.
- Fill all buckets with the desired keywords. Once you’ve got several topic buckets to focus your efforts on, the next step is to determine keywords that will fit them. These are terms that you believe are relevant and vital to rank for on the search results because the intended audience is likely to conduct their search using those phrases and words. For instance, if the bucket is for a piece of marketing software developer, the keywords would probably revolve around that subject, like marketing automation software and tips for marketing automation.
- Keyword research is affected by user intent. A pivotal factor in a brand’s ability to rank on search engines is user intent. In actuality, it is even more crucial today than it ever was in the past. The intent and purpose behind every search is vital, after all. So it is important to remain cautious when interpreting the chosen keywords. Let’s say that the keyword is all about starting a blog. A blog can mean a number of things, from the piece itself to the actual website. The intent of the searcher will ultimately determine the direction of the content. If you want to identify the keyword’s intent, you can search for the words or terms to check the results that come up.
- Research relevant terms. It is good standard practice to research relevant terms because it can help you fill up your buckets quickly. If you encounter any difficulties in coming up with keywords that people use when looking for a specific subject or topic, take a gander at the related words that pop-up whenever terms are plugged into the search engine. There should be a list of suggestions for potential searches that are related to the initial input.
- Utilize tools for keyword research. There are a variety of different tools that you can use to aid your search for the right keywords. The key is to select the right one. So before you decide, make sure that you consider the features, price, and flexibility of the software. It will save you time and money.
Factors for selecting keywords
Once you have gotten a better idea of which keywords you’re looking to rank your business in, you’ll need to refine and narrow down your search to a select few. It is easier than it sounds, and it all boils down to considering the three factors for selecting keywords:
- Relevance. Search engines like Google will always rank based on relevance. Because the content generated will only be correctly ranked if it is relevant to the needs of the searcher, you must be sure that the terms chosen are relevant to the resource you provide.
- Authority. Google provides a lot more weight to specific sources if it deems them authoritative. To become an authority source, you must enrich your brand’s website with high-quality content that users value.
- Volume. Some keywords may get you a high ranking. However, if nobody searches for them, then there’s no point. So, make sure that there is sufficient volume for the selected terms.
No one can deny the importance of keyword research, especially for search engine optimization. It helps elevate an SEO campaign, making it more effective as a result. With the information laid out in this guide and the assistance of capable SEO Washington DC experts, you’ll be able to get the results that you want.